Rest or Insignificance?

By Brooke

Image-1

“God selected the common and the castoff, whatever lacks status, so that He could invalidate the claims of those who think they are significant.” -1 Corinthians 1:28 (the Voice)

Today is the first day of my sabbatical. It is 6am and I have already checked my work email 4 times. Four. Times.

How am I doing?

It turns out everyone at work is taking this sabbatical thing pretty seriously. I have no new emails requiring anything of me. No voicemail’s I’ve put off until today. No last things that I need to wrap up.

Nobody is asking for my input on pressing matters or how to navigate personal or professional differences. Practically our entire staff at Holy Yoga is new and they seem to be doing just fine without any direction from me.

This morning, sabbatical feels less like rest and more like insignificance.

The definition of an idol is, “something that consumes you while in pursuit, disappoints you when you have it and devastates you when you lose it.” Could it be that Holy Yoga, while a good and fruitful pursuit, has become something of an idol for me?

I think I have allowed the roles I have played as wife, mother, founder, daughter, and friend to define me more than the truth of who God says I am.

I suppose the sobering truth is that the first order of business for this season of rest is addressing my deep need to contribute in order to feel significant.

So for today… this is my question of the King.

Do I really matter to people or projects or You, God, if I don’t bring something to the table?

brooke

(Join me as I journey through this Sabbatical season by subscribing above.)

Interested in becoming a Holy Yoga Instructor? Click here to begin your Holy Yoga story.

12 Comments on Rest or Insignificance?

1. Tammy Brewer
    June 15, 2015 at 9:02 am (2 years ago)

This is a great insight and one I think every person faces this at one time or another. Thank you for sharing this and I pray as each of us who reads this, will go deeper in our own thoughts about identity and significance. I know I am!

2. Jill Mobley
    June 15, 2015 at 9:17 am (2 years ago)

Dear one, you’re not insignificant. You are a human being, not a human doing. This is your time to be. You are like the beautiful, rich, nourishing black soil of Israel, which has been broken up, fertilized, furrowed, and prepared for planting. Your job is now to accept the seeds, nourish them and allow them to grow. Looking forward to harvest time, when there will be a huge celebration.

3. Cora
    June 15, 2015 at 9:31 am (2 years ago)

BE still, and KNOW that I am GOD.
    BE still, and Know that I AM
    BE still, and Know that I
    BE still and KNOW
    BE STILL
    BE!
    It is not in the doing, you are who you are in the BEing in Christ.
    Love You, daughter, sister!

4. Toni
    June 15, 2015 at 11:33 am (2 years ago)

No one is insignificant in God’s eyes. For so long you have been Martha, constantly moving and working and DOING. This is your time to be Mary and rest at Jesus’ feet. Gaze. Listen. Pray. Be. And remember, always, that you are loved.

5. Roselee
    June 15, 2015 at 12:29 pm (2 years ago)

The raw openness before God brings the words of Hebrews 4:12 to my mind and Spirit to share: “God’s powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey.” God’s perfect peace to you within this precious time of Sabbatical with Him, Brooke.

6. Rachel Tucker
    June 15, 2015 at 2:27 pm (2 years ago)

Broone, The sign of an awesome Leader is if they can leave for a time, and the business or ministry still runs! Awesome! Although, I think this means that I won’t get to meet you at the retreat on the 29th. BOO!
    God Bless
    Rachel Tucker

7. Delainy Hagadorn Manker
    June 15, 2015 at 3:10 pm (2 years ago)

I know this feeling being through what seems like too many sabbaticals of forced rest. I’m a doer that Over the years has tried to find my “worth” in what I can bring to the table. It is difficult to simply enter in and sit… Learning for myself that He has already prepared the table I/you/we can simply enter in and sit with Him. Enjoy the feast sweet sister!!

8. Mary
    June 15, 2015 at 4:41 pm (2 years ago)

In a minute way, I understand what you’re feeling. Love and prayers.

9. Christina
    June 16, 2015 at 4:54 am (2 years ago)

This has been a huge issue for me as well. I often thought I was alone in this struggle. It has caused me so much stress, and doubt. Thank you sharing your struggles. I don’t feel so alone in this now. Praying for you Brooke.

10. carolyn
    June 16, 2015 at 6:17 am (2 years ago)

I saw this quote while doing my devotion today and God reminded me of your rest and waiting season. “Waiting time is never wasted time.” – Ian Hamilton

Praying for you and that Christ reveals Himself to you in a mighty way!

11. Amanda
    June 17, 2015 at 8:35 am (2 years ago)

I think this is my favorite writing of yours so far…and my dear, let me tell you. You are so significant. Not because you are a mountain mover…not because you built Holy Yoga from ground zero to what it is today…not because of any kind of relationship. You are significant because you are His. You are great at all the other stuff-and you are irreplaceable. No one is like you and you bring mighty things to the table. But none of that defines you. I think you already know that. I love you and I am so proud of you. HE is so proud of you.

12. Dalyn Weller
    June 17, 2015 at 9:58 pm (2 years ago)

Good stuff and I know exactly how you feel and ask that question to Jesus myself. Whew.