Welcome to the Unknown

By Brooke

photo-1414073875831-b47709631146

“From now one I will tell you of new things, of hidden things unknown to you…This is what the Lord says– your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.”-Isaiah 48:6,17(NIV)

I woke up today literally hearing the Lord’s voice say, “welcome to the unknown.”

Welcome to the unknown. Um…thanks but I much prefer the known.

See, I have routines and expectations that keep my life in appropriate “order”. No matter what role I am in, I know what is expected of me. I am wildly proficient at wearing whatever hat is required of me. I am a master at making sure that what needs to get done, gets done and gets done well.

In other words, knowing is my drug. It keeps me exactly where I need to be–in control.

If I know what you need, I can give it.
If I know your expectation, I can meet it.
If I know your desire, I can become it.

I am addicted to knowing because I am incredibly afraid of not being wanted and eventually being abandoned. I have used the crutch of knowing my entire life to keep myself proficient at becoming whatever anyone needs so that I am, well… “necessary”.

To you.

To the project.

To the movement.

To the household.

To relationship.

To God.

The unknown is the place where my performance and striving cease. Where the truth of my identity as a beloved child of God begins to take shape. Where the lie that I have to perform for God in order to be loved by Him is deconstructed and where what I profess on my lips actually becomes the true beat of my heart.

“Welcome to the unknown”, He whispers.

Yes, Lord. To the unknown.

brooke

Interested in becoming a Holy Yoga Instructor? Click here to begin your Holy Yoga story.

10 Comments on Welcome to the Unknown

1. Brenda
    June 3, 2015 at 6:43 am (2 years ago)

Feeling a joyful and mysterious anticipation alongside you Sister.

2. Amy Dieleman
    June 3, 2015 at 7:12 am (2 years ago)

Wowzers! Having that exact same notion this morning! Literally having Toby Mac’s “Beyond Me” looped in my consciousness as I opened your email…
    Welcome to the Great… Welcome to the Great Unknown!!! LOVE the common thread wisdoms that He places in our hearts at precisely the same time to help weave us together in encouragement and strength! You’re Extraordinary, Jesus!
    We give you the glory! ❤️!!!

3. Colleen Feeney
    June 3, 2015 at 7:18 am (2 years ago)

Brooke, I love your transparency and honesty. God is going to reveal great things to you in this time of “rest”.

4. Susan
    June 3, 2015 at 7:48 am (2 years ago)

I so relate with ever fiber of my being. It’s scary in the unknown. But what I know is you have more people behind you than you realize. Take strength in that.
    -S

5. Mary lewis
    June 3, 2015 at 8:07 am (2 years ago)

Your “if” statements hit too close to home. Thank you. Love.

6. Missy
    June 3, 2015 at 8:31 am (2 years ago)

Praying for you Brooke,
    I know exactly what you mean by needing to “being in control” & to “Feel needed” and how hard it is to just rest & believe those truths from God about he loves us just because. My Word from the Lord lately has been to quit “Striving”. Praying for you in this season of rest. Thank you for being so transparent so the rest of your HY sisters can benefit thru your experience. xoxo

7. Jocelynne
    June 3, 2015 at 9:46 am (2 years ago)

Wow…Your word strick me so deeply as I struggle with control and neediness as well! Thank you so much for sharing your struggles and realizations with us. you are really ministering to me. Bless you and this journey of rest and healing you are on. I heard an amazing line in a song the other day that said something like the more broken we are, the more of His light can shine through us. I am clinging to this. With great love and respect and appreciation, Jocelynne xo

8. Kathi
    June 3, 2015 at 11:11 am (2 years ago)

Breathe in the unknown and stay open to HIM. Love you

9. Rebecca
    June 3, 2015 at 12:06 pm (2 years ago)

Wow…being necessary… I would never have put this fear into those words but you struck a place in me I try to keep hidden. Thank you for your words , your love and care for this community. Be blessed in your rest. Rebecca

10. Christie
    June 3, 2015 at 8:36 pm (2 years ago)

This has been my greatest struggle. Good to know that I’m not alone. I hear the what then not the when…vicious cycle of crazy obsession. Then defend my faithfulness but question my trust. On to guilt. Continuous surrender and holding on to truth and today. That’s my solution.