A Season of Change

By Brooke

image

This summer I am doing something new. A something new that is unusual for me and makes me really uncomfortable. Mostly because this “something new” is not my idea. It’s God’s idea, and if I am honest I much prefer living in accordance with what I think is best for me.

On June 15th, I will begin my first ever sabbatical. I will step aside from my work with Holy Yoga for a four month period to um….rest. Rest? I am not sure what that is, but that is what I have been called to.

Rest.

And rest feels wildly fear filled.

By definition, a sabbatical is a “sabbath or any extended period of leave from one’s customary work, especially for rest, to acquire new skills or training”. It sounds luxurious, doesn’t it? It sounds free and exhilarating and full of possibility….except if you find yourself, like me, completely dependent on a role or your contributions to give you your value and worth.

So this, friends, marks a bit of a turning point in our time together. If you will still allow me into your lives for brief moments on Monday’s and Wednesday’s, we will journey together into the unknown. Into why God takes even the really great things in our lives away for a period of time to expose what we really believe about who He is and who we are in relationship to who He says He is.

We serve a good God, friends.

brooke

Interested in becoming a Holy Yoga Instructor? Click here to begin your Holy Yoga story.

13 Comments on A Season of Change

1. Jo Lau
    June 1, 2015 at 7:44 am (2 years ago)

Brooke, whilst I would have loved to meet you person on my upcoming retreat, you are doing something very courageous which I’m sure has been led by the Holy Spirit. About a month ago or so, you wrote a post about rest and it has touched me and helped me immensely. Today, maybe that post it’s not directly relevant to your sabbitical but it is the same concept of God blessing us with ‘rest’, I sense.

May you enjoy this blessing for He has so graciously granted you. Embrace it, Brooke! I trust it is all part of His plan, His Love and His way of paving a wonderful journey ahead for you.

2. mary
    June 1, 2015 at 9:51 am (2 years ago)

Rest (not an easy thing) for most, yet you are faithful to heed the call. Know many will be praying for you, so rest dear sister…..REST

3. Mindy Seekford
    June 1, 2015 at 8:09 pm (2 years ago)

I pray the you will find freedom in this rest. God also called me to a season of rest of sorts, the month before I started my training and he hasn’t fully taken me out yet. It wasn’t a sabbatical like you are doing, but it did require me to lay down some good things I was doing and that was hard. Learning to rest is HARD work! Bless you sweet friend. xoxo

4. Kathi
    June 1, 2015 at 11:24 pm (2 years ago)

One day at a time sweet lady. You are always on my heart and in my prayers. Peace and Rest it is good for the soul. xo

5. Becky
    June 2, 2015 at 4:32 am (2 years ago)

May you find ease of heart, mind, spirit and body as you let God hold you in His arms for a while. Sending love.

6. Sarah Baker
    June 2, 2015 at 4:51 am (2 years ago)

Reading this was so comforting. I to am starting a new adventure in my life that is God’s idea which can be unsettling and hard to wrap my mind around.
    I love the definition you included in this: a sabbatical is a “sabbath or any extended period of leave from one’s customary work, especially for rest, to acquire new skills or training”.
    It just so happens that I start this new part of my life June 15 and that definition couldn’t define it any better. I will be acquiring new skills and training during this leap of faith in order to carry out the Lord’s plan.
    Why is it that we, or at least I, get so nervous about trusting in God’s plan just because it’s not my idea? It’s God, the creator of the universe. Who better to trust or find comfort in during a time of uncertainty?

7. Lois
    June 2, 2015 at 5:59 am (2 years ago)

May you be blessed with an awareness of the love, prayers and grace that will flow in, to, and through you while you patiently await the presence of the Spirit to nudge you gently towards the fullness of who God created you to be.
    Holding you close to my heart…

8. Melah
    June 2, 2015 at 6:47 am (2 years ago)

Bless you, Brooke, and thank you for allowing us into your life. God is so Awesome! He spoke the same thing to me yesterday. I have always gotten my identity from being a mom, wife, daughter or what my job was. God spoke Hebrews 3:15 &11 to me today and I share it with you. “Today when you hear His voice do not harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled. Or you will never enter my place of REST.”
    May God Bless you richly for listening to His voice! Peace and Rest to you, sister!

9. Jocelynne
    June 2, 2015 at 9:39 am (2 years ago)

I am praying for God to continue revealing Truth and Love and rest fullness in this season of rest and renewal xo Jocelynne

10. Cora
    June 2, 2015 at 1:41 pm (2 years ago)

Sweet Sister,
    God whispered this word in my ear in January of this year. My argument went something like this: God how can I step back from HY when it means so much to so many? Father, I will disappoint people. ABBA, this is your work we are doing. The HY team ~ what will they think?

My ABBA’s sweet response: “It is for a short season, BE STILL and trust me on this. Lean into me and let me do a work in you.” I had to do what I was teaching in my HY classes!

Trust cast out the fear. The BEing has a sweetness and a flavor all it’s own!

Praying for you, my sweet Brooke.

11. June Beyer
    June 3, 2015 at 5:39 am (2 years ago)

“We’ve been told ‘we’ve got to love, we’ve got to love’…but our wells run dry…” (Brooke Boon, Gentle Holy Yoga.) May your Wise Words offer Precious Gifts of Refreshing Rejuvenation as you Fill Your Loving Well with His Gentle Love. You are an inspiration and an awesome woman leading us with a True Heart!
    Peace and love to you Miss Brooke as you REST in God’s Loving Arms unburdened. Prayers, Peace, Psalms of Rest. “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” (Exodus 33:14) All Good Things to you with Love, June Beyer

12. Kelly
    June 8, 2015 at 8:05 pm (2 years ago)

So excited for you as you enter this time of sabbatical. It takes true faith to do this and trust. I know it will be a blessed time for you with Him and that He will reward you for the sacrifice. So glad that you are doing this and the light that it is for others. Myself as well.

13. Lisa M
    June 12, 2015 at 11:52 am (2 years ago)

I love this and you, BB!!!